One explanation, proposed by J.B. Rhine, is a phenomenon called "Psi-Trailing". This might be described as the owner and pet communicating using their "minds", much like a game of "Marco-Polo". Who says this can't happen?
In fact, as technology improves, or our understand of minds improves, we might find ways to augment this psi-trailing.
- Maybe there will be computer-assisted "psi-trailing" to bring people and/or pets back to one another.
- How about an electronic "dowsing tool" to zero in on the missing person or pet? There exist electronic dowsing rods. Maybe these same tools could be used to find lost pets or people.
- Perhaps "galvanic skin response" could be a kind of "psychic compass"
- Once dream analysis becomes a science, we might be able to get hints or suggestions of where to look.
Our mind and our pet's mind are wonderful creations, much to be revealed yet, though.
For more information:
- Psi Trailing Could Explain How Lost Pets Find Their Owner or Home
- Rhine, J. B. and Feather, S. R. (1962). The study of cases of psi-trailing in animals. Journal of Parapsychology, 26, 1—22
- When Cats And Dogs Travel Long Distances To Get Home ~ Psi Trailing - What Gives Animals The Ability To Find Their Way Home Over Long Distances?
Disclaimer - Article is for information only and is not medical or legal advice.